TCL Global Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice is effective as of Dec. 20, 2019.
This Privacy Notice describes how TCL and/or its affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively ‘TCL” or “we”) protect the personal data we process and control relating to you (“your personal data”), what types of personal data we collect about you, what we do with it, how we disclose it and which rights you have in relation to the processing of personal data. Your privacy is important to us. We respect your privacy when handling your personal data.
TCL protects your personal data in accordance with any applicable privacy laws and our privacy policies. This Privacy Notice provides an overview of TCL most common processing activities of your personal data. Please note that certain specific processing activities may be subjects to a separate and tailored privacy statements that will apply in addition to this Privacy Notice.
When does this Privacy Notice apply?
This Privacy Notice applies whenever we collect personal information from or about you when you access or use any of our websites, TCL’s and relevant Alcatel brand devices, services (including streaming services, online services and those provided via your TCL account), applications, software, technologies and any other materials (“TCL materials”) or when you contact us in any manner. This Privacy Notice applies to personal consumers and other individuals within our clients, business partners, supplier and other organizations with which TCL has or contemplates a business relationship. To find out more, please click on any of the sections below:
- Personal data we collect about you
- Uses of your personal data
- Disclosure of your information to third parties
- Third party links
- International transfers of personal data
- Security of your personal data
- Retention of your personal data
- Your rights
- Product specific terms
- Contacting us
We may update this Privacy Notice anytime to reflect changes in how we collect and use your personal data or changes in relevant laws. Any update to this Privacy Notice will be effective upon its posting on our website at https://us.alcatelmobile.com/privacy-policy/. In addition, we may also send a message to you to inform you about the changes to this Privacy Notice.
By visiting our websites or using our devices and services and/or by providing your information, you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this Privacy Notice
Personal data we collect about you.
We may collect and process the following personal data about you:
- Information that you provide to us. This includes information about you that you give us by filling in forms, entering information in our website, creating user accounts or by communicating with us, whether face-to-face, by phone, online, by e-mail or otherwise. “Personal Information” means: (i) any data that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household, under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) whenever applicable and (ii) any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (the “data subject”) whenever the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) applies. Personal Information includes without limitation the following:
- Personal and/ or business contact information: your name, shipping, billing and/or business address, email address, phone number;
- Log in information: username, password, nickname;
- Demographic information: date of birth, gender;
- Payment information: your debit or credit card details, bank details or other payment and financial information;
- Other information about you such as your occupation, language, voice pattern;
- Information about the TCL materials and services that you own and use, location of your device and time zone and proof that you purchased them.
Except for certain information that is required by law, your decision to provide any Personal Information to TCL is voluntary. You will therefore not be subject to adverse consequences if you do not wish to provide TCL with your Personal Information. However, please note that, if you do not provide certain Personal Information TCL may not be able to accomplish some purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice and you may not be able to use or access certain TCL devices or services that require the use of such Personal Information.
- Information we collect or generate about you. This includes, without limitation, the following:
- details about your usage of the TCL account, TCL applications, TCL and Alcatel websites and devices;
- details about your usage of the products that we supply to you such as the content viewed through the device and usage habits;
- the IP address, MAC address, Device-ID, Terminal ID, serial number, IMEI number, IMSI number and any other device identifiers or device-specific information about your TCL materials; geolocation information provided by your device’s GPS signal or communicated through a nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers while you use certain services and enable the location feature;
- error logs, error codes and error descriptions and other information that you provide relating to faults or defect experienced with any of your TCL materials; and
- where we provide after-sales services to you, recordings of phone conversations between you and our staff.
- Information we obtain from other sources. This includes, without limitation, the following:
- information from social media networks;
- Information obtained from other providers of products, services, websites and applications;
- other commercially or publicly available sources; and
- if you take part in market research programs organized and/or sponsored by/on behalf of TCL we may also collect information from third party websites or social media networks, in accordance with the privacy policies of those respective websites and social media networks.
Whenever we collect information about you from third parties, we will ensure that those third parties are allowed to share such information with us and that our use of the Personal Information collected from them complies with all applicable data protection laws.
We will not knowingly collect any Personal Information about children under age 13 without making it clear that such information should only be provided with parental or guardian’s consent, if this is required by any applicable laws. TCL will only use Personal Information relating to children as far as it is permitted by the law where the required parental or guardian’s consent has been obtained.
Uses of your personal data
Your personal data may be collected, stored, processed or otherwise used by us in the following ways and for the following purposes:
- to manage our products and services and your use of our TCL materials
- to provide software updates, maintenance services and support for TCL materials;
- to help you manage your TCL account;
- to allow you to download and purchase our products and services such as our applications and related websites and / or to give you access to third-party applications installed on the device;
- to process payments transactions or orders for TCL materials;
- to contact you in relation to TCL materials and services, , for example, in the event that any TCL materials have changed or present issues;
- (particularly when using your business contact,) to conduct ordinary business operations and for associated administrative purposes;
- to protect against and prevent fraud, and other legal or information security risks.
- to keep TCL materials secure and prevent crime and fraud;
- to respond to any complaints or questions that you may raise in connection with TCL materials, and to defend and exercise legal rights;
- to improve or personalise TCL materials or develop new ones;
- to administer contests, promotions, events, market research, survey in relation to TCL materials;
- to facilitate internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve our products, services, user experience and customer communications;
- to comply with all applicable laws, regulations, directives and court decisions;
- to send you information about TCL materials and help to make that information more relevant to you. We may need your consent for certain marketing activities. We offer you various ways to opt-out of receiving certain communications from us. If you would like to opt out of receiving e-mail marketing communications from us you may click the “Unsubscribe” link found at the bottom of the e-mail and follow the instructions. You can always review and update your preference at any time by the method provided to you.
We do not sell or otherwise disclose Personal Information you have provided to us, except as described in this Privacy Notice, as disclosed to you at the time of the data collection or as described in any specific privacy notice, as applicable. We will not disclose your Personal Information to third parties, unless such disclosure will be necessary with reference to the legal purpose of the processing, as better described in the following section “Disclose of your Personal Information to third parties”.
We are allowed to process your Personal Information for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice because one or more of the following applies:
- the processing of your Personal Information is necessary to perform a contract with you and to provide you with products and services;
- TCL is required to do so in compliance with a legal obligation to which it is subject;
- The processing is necessary for TCL to establish, exercise or defend its legal rights or for the purpose of legal proceedings;
- TCL has legitimate interest in collecting and processing your Personal Information, for example, with reference to the following:
- conducting market research in relation to our products and services, whereby legally permissible;
- improving the products and services that we provide;
- making our communications or the content that we provide to you more relevant to you;
- minimising our risks, for example, in relation to credit or fraud; and
- developing our training process and systems; and
- you have given your prior consent to certain types of processing. For example, you may have consented to receive marketing messages from us or from third parties on TCL’s behalf.
Disclosure of your Personal Information to third parties
We may disclose your Personal Information with TCL’s affiliates and subsidiaries in one or more of the circumstances described below:
- to help us provide you with TCL materials;
- where we market products and services provided by TCL’s affiliates and/or TCL’s subsidiaries; and
when it is necessary for one of the purposes for which TCL lawfully processes your Personal Information under this Privacy Notice. In case of disclosure of your Personal Information to any TCL’s affiliate or TCL’s subsidiary under the conditions above, we will adopt appropriate measures to ensure that the access to your Personal Information will only be given to the employees of such TCL’s affiliates and TCL’s subsidiaries that need it in order to carry out the purpose of the data processing under this Privacy Notice and in compliance with the principle of data minimization.
We may also share your Personal Information with third-parties in order to serve you better in certain situations including the following:
- in case of sale of any TCL’s business or assets or merger with another company, we may disclose your Personal Information to the prospective buyer for due diligence purposes and on completion of the sale or merger;
- if we market third-party products or services to you, we may share your Personal Information with those third parties;
- when you provide your consent to disclose your Personal Information to specific and identified third party or category of third parties;
- to third-party agents or contractors (for example, the providers of our electronic data storage services) that we hire to support us in providing our services and products to you. We will ensure that such third-parties will be processing your Personal Information in compliance with the provisions set out in this Privacy Notice and under a confidentiality duty;
- to business partners who provide products and / or services that are embedded or serve as a component of TCL materials that we provide to you. These third parties will be responsible for how they use your Personal Information in connection with their services and products as described in a separate privacy notice provided by them; and,
- to the extent required by law, if we are under a duty to disclose your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, establish, exercise or defend our legal rights.
Our website may contain links to third-party sites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other sites and this Privacy Notice does not apply to them. If you have any questions about how these other sites use your Personal Information, please review their policies and contact them directly.
International transfers of Personal Information
Your use of the TCL account or other TCL materials may involve the transfer, storage and processing of your Personal Information within and outside of your country of residence, consistent with this Privacy Notice. The data protection laws of countries to which your Personal Information may be transferred might not guarantee the same level of protection as your country does.
Transfer of Personal Information outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) when GDPR applies.
When we transfer your Personal Information from within the EEA to outside the EEA, we will ensure that it is protected in a manner that is consistent with how your Personal Information will be protected by us in the EEA and an adequate level of protection will be ensured, through one of the following mechanisms:
- the third country where we transfer your Personal Information has been recognized as capable to ensure an adequate level of protection by a decision of the European Commission;
- the importer and the exporter have signed the “standard contractual clauses” approved by the European Commission with its decision on February 5, 2010, establishing obligations to safeguard the personal data in accordance with EU standards; or
- where the transfer is to the United States, the EU-US Privacy Shield may apply and the importer is required to self-certify compliance with the Privacy Shield principles.
- In absence of an adequate level of protection, controller and processor provide adequate safeguards and enforceable data subjects rights and effective legal remedies for data subjects are available.
You may request additional details about how your Personal Information is protected by us in case of transfer outside an EEA country (including a copy of the Standard contractual clauses entered into with importers in the third country) by contacting us as described in the “Contacting us” section below.
Security of your Personal Information
We have adopted organizational, physical and technical security measures that are in line with the industry standards to protect the Personal Information you provide, and to prevent any unauthorised access, disclosure, use, modification, damage or loss of data. We will take all reasonable and practical steps to protect your Personal Information, including the following:
- We will use SSL and other technical measures to ensure encryption with regards to our services and products. We will regularly examine our practice of information collection, storage, and processing (including physical security measures) to prevent unauthorised system access.
- We will authorize our employees and personnel of third parties to access your personal data only on a need-to-know basis in order to help us process your Personal Information and provide the services to you.These employees and external personnel (of third parties authorised by us) are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations. Should they fail to fulfill these confidentiality obligations, they may be held accountable for confidentiality breach and their relationship with us may be terminated.
- The security of your Personal Information is extremely important to us. We will continue our efforts to protect your Personal Information and implement safeguard measures, such as providing full encryption for information storage and transmission, to prevent your Personal Information from unauthorised access, usage or disclosure. No one but the user can access specific contents of certain encrypted data.
- We will adopt encryption and other security measures to transmit and store your Personal Information of particular types; and we will use technical measures to process your personal biometric information before storing it, e.g. we will only store the essential components of such personal biometric information.
- We will prudently select business partners and service providers, and implement the requirements for personal data protection to the business contracts or audits and assessments between both parties.
- We will conduct security and privacy protection training courses, testing and publicity activities to enhance employees’ awareness of the importance of protecting personal data.
Please understand, however, that no data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any Personal Information you transmit to us and you understand that any Personal Information that you transfer to us is done at your own risk. If we learn of a security system breach, we will act in a timely fashion in accordance with any applicable law.
Retention of Personal Information
TCL retains your Personal Information only for as long as necessary and it will be deleted after a reasonable time according to the following criteria:
- TCL retains your Personal Information as long as it has an ongoing relationship with you;
- TCL retains your Personal Information as long as it needs to comply with a legal obligation to which it is subject; and TCL retains your Personal Information where it is advisable to safeguard or improve TCL’s legal position (e.g. in relation to litigation, regulatory investigations).
Data protection laws may give you a number of legal rights in relation to the Personal Information that we hold about you. Not all data protection laws are the same so not all of these rights apply in all places. Also, some of these rights are subject to qualifications and limitations and exercising these rights may impact the services and products that we provide to you. However, we recognise that your Personal Information belongs to you only and that enables you to control how we use it.
Your rights may include:
- the right to request access to the Personal Information that we process about you, including the right to obtain information on and copy of such data;
- the right to withdraw your consent to our processing of your Personal Information at any time. Please note, however, that we may still be entitled to process your Personal Information if we have another legitimate reason (other than consent) for doing so;
- in some circumstances, the right to receive some Personal Information in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and/or request that we transmit those data to a third party where this is technically feasible. Please note that this right only applies to personal data which you have provided to us;
- the right to request that we rectify your Personal Information if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- the right to request that we erase your Personal Information in certain circumstances. Please note that there may be circumstances where you ask us to erase your Personal Information, but we are legally entitled to retain it;
- the right to object to, and the right to request that we restrict, our processing of your Personal Information in certain circumstances. Again, there may be circumstances where you object to, or ask us to restrict, our processing of your Personal Information but we are legally entitled to continue processing your Personal Information and / or to refuse that request; and
- the right to lodge a complaint with the Supervisory Authority (details of which are provided below) if you think that any of your rights have been infringed by us.
You can exercise your rights by contacting us using the details set out in the “Contacting us” section below.
We may need to confirm your verifiable consumer request before completing your request, and, for example, may ask for you to confirm data points we already have about you. We will only use Personal Information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
You can find out more information about your rights or lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority if you consider that our processing of your Personal Information breaches any applicable law. Contact details for all European Union supervisory authorities can be found here: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en.
Your California Privacy Rights
Under California law, we are required to provide the following information. We have collected the following personal data in the past 12 months:
|Category of personal data||Source(s)||Purpose(s)||Disclosure to third parties|
|Identifiers, which may include name, postal address, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address or account name||Directly from you|
Indirectly from you (e.g., from observing your actions on our Site)
From third party service provider, such as social media
|To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information, e.g., to help you manage your TCL account, to contact you in relation to our products and services, and to respond to an inquiry or process an order||Disclosure for business purposes to: companies within the TCL group of companies, internet service providers, payment processors|
|Personal informationcategories contained in customer records, which may include name, address, telephone number, employment, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other payment and financial information||Directly from you||To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information, e.g., to help you manage your TCL account, to contact you in relation to our products and services, and to respond to an inquiry or process an order||Disclosure for business purposes to: companies within the TCL group of companies, internet service providers, payment processors|
|Commercial information, which may include records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies||Directly from you||To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information, e.g., to help you manage your TCL account, to contact you in relation to our products and services, and to respond to an inquiry or process an order||Disclosure for business purposes to: companies within the TCL group of companies, internet service providers, payment processors|
|Internet or other similar network activity, which may include browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement||Indirectly from you (e.g., from observing your actions on our Site)||To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information, e.g., to improve our products or services, or to provide targeted advertising||Disclosure for business purposes to: companies within the TCL group of companies, internet service providers|
|Geolocation data, which may include physical location or movements||Directly from you||To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information, e.g., to help you manage your TCL account, to contact you in relation to our products and services, and to respond to an inquiry, to process an order, or provide targeted advertising||Disclosure for business purposes to: companies within the TCL group of companies, internet service providers|
|Inferences drawn from other personal information, which may include a profile reflecting a person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes||Indirectly from you (e.g., from observing your actions on our Site)|
From third party service provider, such as social media
|To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information, e.g., to provide targeted advertising||Disclosure for business purposes to: companies within the TCL group of companies, internet service providers|
For Residents of California, United States only, in addition to the above mentioned rights in the “Your Rights” section, from January 1, 2020, you will be entitled to the below rights:
- the right to know. You may request information about the categories and specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you, as well as the categories of sources from which such information is collected, the purpose for collecting such information and the sale or disclosure for business purposes of your Personal Information to third parties;
- the right to opt out of the sale of your Personal Information to third parties. If the Personal Information to be sold is the Personal Information of a child between 13 and 16 years of age, the right to opt in is given to him/her. If the child is 12 years old or under, the parental/guardianauthorization is required;
- the right to not be discriminated against for exercising any of the rights mentioned above; and
- subject to certain legal exceptions, you have the right to request deletion of your Personal Information.
Additionally, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits users who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us using the contact information provided below and put “Shine the Light” in the subject line of your request.
You can exercise your rights by contacting us using the details set out in the “Contacting us” section below. You may designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. Such authorized agent must be registered with the California Secretary of State. We may deny a request from an agent that does not submit proof that they have been authorized by you to act on your behalf.
Product specific terms
This Privacy Notice applies generally to how we use your Personal Information in relation to our products and services. We may also process additional Personal Information in relation to particular products or services.
- Smart TV
- We and our third party partners collect personal information about your use of or Smart TV products, such as name and duration of videos played, user favourites, pages viewed, and time spent on those pages. This is so that we are able to better understand how our customers use the product and ensure that we can continue to make improvements and tailor our services.
- We may collect additional personal data in order to provide remote diagnosis of problems with your Smart TV products. For example, we may collect real-time screenshots and information about the data stored on your Smart TV products. This is to ensure that problems with your Smart TV products can be resolved as efficiently as possible.
- We also collect personal information about your use of the Amazon Alexa or Google Action voice assistant function on your Smart TV products. This information includes a device description, your voice, Skill Token and Voice command. When you use the voice assistant function, your voice data will be processed by Google or Amazon. Your data will be directly transferred to Google or Amazon. Please refer to the Google or Amazon privacy notices for information on further processing of your personal data by these companies.
- We and our third party partners will collect details about your usage of the T-Cast application, including the volume of usage you make of the T-Cast application (measured through the number of clicks you make) as well as the choice of services you make through the T-Cast application. We do this so that we understand better your usage of the T-Cast application and can tailor the layout of the application to your preferences.
- TCL Home
- We and our third party partners will collect details about your usage of the TCL Home application, such as the volume of usage you make of the TCL Home application, the information you provided through live chat and the choices of services you make through the TCL Home application. We do this so that we understand better your usage of the TCL Home application and improve our services and tailor the layout of the application to your preferences.
- If you use a third party account (Facebook or Twitter) to log on the TCL Home application, we also collect or process your personal data associated with such third party account. Please refer to the Facebook or Twitter privacy notices for relevant information.
- We may collect and process your personal data associated with your Roku TV user account (for example your email address) and/or any third party account (Facebook or Google) you may use to log on the T-Channel platform. Please refer to the privacy notices of the relevant third parties for future information on how they share your personal data with us.
- T-Channel allows users to search content available within T-Channel by initiating the voice control function in Roku TV. When you use the voice control function, your voice data will be processed by Roku TV directly. Please refer to the Roku TV privacy notices for information on further processing of your voice data.
- We may collect and process data in relation to the Roku TV device you hold (e.g. its device model, unique device identifier, brand, MAC address, Roku operating system version, region, IP address, application version), and your use of T-Channel (e.g. your clicks records and browsing history). We may engage third party processors to analyse such data and build profiles on your usage and preference. We do this so that we can understand better how our customers use T-Channel and make recommendations to you on other content which you may be interested in.
- TCL Mobile, Tablet and Wearable Device
- We may collect and process special categories of personal data such as biometrics data and health data when you use certain applications on TCL mobile, tablet or wearable device. These data are necessary for the health-related functions of these applications. We process your special categories of personal data based on your explicit consent, and you may withdraw your consent to such processing at any time. However, you should be aware that if you choose to do so we may be unable to continue to provide certain services to you. If you choose to withdraw your consent, we will tell you more about the possible consequences;
- We may collect and process device data and log information including referrer URL, IP addresses and details about your use of our website, cloud services, app store, browsing history, search queries, browser type and session frequency, besides unique device identifiers;
- Some TCL mobile devices are under the Alcatel brand but this Privacy Notice also applies to those devices.
Please note that when you access the content provided by a third party on TCL’s products, such third party may collect or receive information about the TCL materials (e.g. its IP address and device identifiers), and any requested transaction by you (e.g. your request to buy or rent such content). TCL is not responsible for such third party providers’ privacy or security practices.
We use “cookies” and similar web technologies to support certain features of the TCL account and other websites and applications operated by us. A cookie is a piece of code deployed on your device. We use two types of cookies: “session cookies” and “persistent cookies”.
A session cookie expires after you close your browser. A session cookie will identify you during your browsing session by assigning a randomly generated unique identification number to your device. We use session cookies to:
- enable us to provide products and services to you and manage transactions. For example, we may deploy a cookie to remember what items you have stored in an online shopping basket; and
- for certain content management and editing purposes.
Persistent cookies do not expire when you close your browser. We use persistent cookies:
- to record whether a visitor is logged in to the TCL account;
- for certain content management and editing purposes.
If you do not wish to receive cookies, you may set your browser to reject cookies or to alert you when a cookie is placed on your device. You may also delete cookies as soon as you leave the TCL account or other TCL website / application. Although you are not required to accept cookies when you visit the TCL account, if you set your browser to reject cookies, you may not be able to use all of the features and functionality of the TCL account or other TCL website / application.
We use Google Analytics, which is a web analytics tool that helps us understand how users engage with the TCL Account or other TCL website / application. Google Analytics tracks your movement through our site (i.e. the pages you have seen and the links you have clicked on) and helps us measure how you interact with the content we provide. This information is used to compile reports and to help us improve the TCL Account or other TCL website / application. The reports disclose website trends without identifying individual visitors. You can opt out of Google Analytics without affecting your use of our site. More information on opting out of Google Analytics across all websites you use can be found on the Google website at: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
For Residents of the United States Only
- The Network Advertising Initiative also offers a means to opt-out of a number of advertising cookies. Please visit https://www.networkadvertising.org to learn more. Note that opting-out does not mean you will no longer receive online advertising. It does mean that the company or companies from which you opted-out will no longer deliver ads tailored to your preferences and usage patterns.
At this time, our website does not recognise automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include “Do Not Track” instructions.
If you would like further information on the collection, use, disclosure, transfer or processing of your personal data or the exercise of any of the rights listed above, please contact us as specified below.
For residents in EEA, our representative in the European Union is TCL Europe, which has its offices at 9-15 rue Rouget de L’Isle- 92130 Issy- Les-Moulineaux, France. Please contact us by firstname.lastname@example.org.
For users in India, our Grievance Officer in India is Mr. Sarbajit Bhattacharjee and can be reached at email@example.com.
For users in the United States, TCL subsidiaries are TTE Technology, Inc. and TCT Mobile Inc. whose related addresses and contacts are indicated below:
TTE Technology, Inc. (for TCL TV and service)
1860 Compton Ave. Corona
Contact us by sending an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling our toll-free number at 1-877-300-8837
TCT Mobile, Inc. (for TCL mobile phone/tablets/wearable device and service)
25 Edelman, suite 250
Irvine, CA 92618
Contact us by sending an email at email@example.com, or by calling our toll-free number at 1-855-368-0829
For users in China and other regions of the world, the data controller is Shenzhen TCL New Technology Co., Ltd, with its address at 9F Building D4, International E-City, No. 1001 Zhongshanyuan Road, Xili Street, Nanshan District, Shenzhen City, Guangdong Province, China.
For more information about contacting TCL, please see the contact us https://us.alcatelmobile.com/contact/.